When did Kevin Garnett retire?issuing time: 2022-05-14
- Why did Kevin Garnett retire?
- How did Kevin Garnett's retirement affect the NBA?
- Did Kevin Garnett have a successful NBA career?
- How many years was Kevin Garnett in the NBA?
- What team did Kevin Garnett retire from?
- What were some of Kevin Garnett's accomplishments in the NBA?
- Was Kevin Garnett ever an All-Star player?
- How many times wasKevin Garnett named an All-Star player?
- What awards did Kevin Garne?
Kevin Garnett retired from the NBA on May 15, 20
Garnett is one of only four players in history to win an MVP award, an All-NBA first team selection and a championship ring (the others are Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, LeBron James and Wilt Chamberlain). He also ranks fifth all-time in points scored (26,38
- He was 38 years old at the time. Garnett had spent his entire 17-year career with the Boston Celtics. In 2007, he was named to the All-NBA First Team and in 2008, he won the MVP Award. However, Garnett's best years were undoubtedly in 2012 and 2013 when he led Boston to two championships. After those successes, Garnett decided it was time to retire. "I'm just happy I could do it while I still had some good basketball left," he said after winning his final championship in 20 "It's been a great ride."
- , sixth all-time in rebounds (15,09 and seventh all-time in assists (5,89. His impact on both the Celtics franchise and the NBA as a whole will be difficult to replicate.
Why did Kevin Garnett retire?
Kevin Garnett retired from the NBA on May 20, 2017. He announced his retirement in a press conference that day. Garnett cited health concerns as the main reason for his decision to retire.
Garnett played 18 seasons in the NBA, all with the Boston Celtics. He was a seven-time All-Star and won two championships with Boston. Injuries had been a recurring issue throughout his career, and he said that he no longer felt able to play at the level required to win championships.
After retiring from basketball, Garnett became an executive with The Kia Motors America Foundation.
How did Kevin Garnett's retirement affect the NBA?
Kevin Garnett retired from the NBA on July 5, 2017. He announced his retirement via a video posted to Instagram. Garnett had spent his entire 20-year career with the Boston Celtics, and was their all-time leading scorer and rebounder when he retired. His retirement affected the NBA in a number of ways.
First, Garnett’s departure left a big hole in Boston’s frontcourt. The Celtics were already struggling without Rajon Rondo (who was traded to Dallas), so they were even more vulnerable without Garnett anchoring the defense and scoring inside. Second, Garnett’s retirement created an opportunity for younger players to step up and take on bigger roles on teams across the league. Third, Garnett’s retirement signaled that players are starting to retire earlier than ever before in order to spend more time with their families. Fourth, Garnett’s retirement may have contributed to the trend of teams tanking in order to secure top picks in the upcoming draft. Fifth, Garnett’s retirement will likely lead to increased salaries for veteran players who want to continue playing after their contracts expire. Finally, as one of the most popular players in league history, his departure will leave a void that other stars will need to fill if they want any chance at winning an championship during their careers.
Did Kevin Garnett have a successful NBA career?
Kevin Garnett retired from the NBA in 2017 after playing for the Boston Celtics for 18 seasons. He was a four-time All-Star and won an NBA championship with the Celtics in 2008. Garnett finished his career with 17,876 points, 10,091 rebounds, and 5,988 assists. He is also one of only six players in history to score 20,000 points and grab 10,000 rebounds. Garnett's retirement came as a surprise to many because he had two years left on his contract with the Celtics.
How many years was Kevin Garnett in the NBA?
Kevin Garnett retired from the NBA after playing 18 seasons. He was drafted by the Minnesota Timberwolves in 1995 and played for them until he was traded to the Boston Celtics in 2007. Garnett won three championships with the Celtics, in 2008, 2010, and 2013. He also reached the playoffs 10 times and averaged 22.8 points, 8.5 rebounds, and 2 assists per game during his career. Garnett is currently a commentator for ESPN's coverage of the NBA Playoffs.
What team did Kevin Garnett retire from?
Kevin Garnett retired from the Boston Celtics on May 19, 2017. He was 38 years old at the time. Garnett had spent his entire career with the Celtics, playing in 1,098 games and averaging 18.1 points and 7.5 rebounds per game. After winning a championship in 2008, the Celtics struggled to maintain their dominance in the Eastern Conference and missed the playoffs for six consecutive seasons before finally reaching back-to-back Finals appearances in 2013 and 2014. Injuries limited Garnett to just 49 games during that stretch, but he still averaged 17 points and 8 rebounds per game over those two playoff runs. On May 19th, 2017, Garnett announced his retirement via a video message on Instagram. "It's been an honor & privilege to play alongside these guys for so many years," he said of his former teammates. "Thank you for everything."
In February of 2016, it was reported that Garnett was considering retirement after failing to agree to a new contract with Boston. The following month, he told ESPN that he wasn't sure if he would return next season due to family considerations: "My wife is about ready to have another baby; I want my kids around more...I'm not going into this thinking I can't do it because I've done it before." However, on April 12th of 2016, reports emerged that Garnett had re-signed with Boston on a one-year deal worth $18 million. Shortly thereafter, he underwent surgery on his right ankle which caused him to miss most of training camp. Despite all of these setbacks - including being relegated to backup minutes behind Jaylen Brown - Garnett finished the season as Boston's leading scorer (17 points per game) and rebounder (10 boards per game). On May 19th, 2017 - four days after clinching their third straight title - Garnett announced his retirement via video message on Instagram: "It's been an honor & privilege [...] Thank you for everything.
What were some of Kevin Garnett's accomplishments in the NBA?
Kevin Garnett retired from the NBA in 2017 after playing 20 seasons. He was a six-time All-Star, five-time Defensive Player of the Year, and three-time MVP. Some of his accomplishments include:
- Being one of the most dominant players in NBA history. Garnett led the league in scoring eight times and rebounds twice. He also won an MVP award in 2007 and a championship with Boston in 200
- Helping lead Boston to two championships (2008, 20. In 2008, he averaged 27 points, 10 rebounds, and 5 assists per game en route to being named Finals MVP. In 2010, he averaged 25 points, 11 rebounds, and 4 blocks per game as Boston defeated Miami in seven games.
- His play on defense was legendary. Garnett is fifth all time in steals (218, sixth all time in blocks (169, and third all time in defensive rating (98. He was also voted into the Hall of Fame unanimously by the BBWAA voters in 20
Was Kevin Garnett ever an All-Star player?
Kevin Garnett retired from the NBA on May 20, 2017. He was a five-time All-Star and won an NBA championship with the Boston Celtics in 2008. Garnett was drafted by the Minnesota Timberwolves with the fifth overall pick in 1995. He played for the Timberwolves, Seattle SuperSonics, Boston Celtics, Brooklyn Nets and Atlanta Hawks before retiring.
How many times wasKevin Garnett named an All-Star player?
Kevin Garnett retired from professional basketball on May 20, 2017. He had a career spanning 18 seasons with the Boston Celtics and Minnesota Timberwolves. Garnett was named an All-Star player 16 times and won three championships with the Celtics (2008, 2010, 2013). He is also a two-time Olympic gold medalist (2004, 2008) and a two-time NBA champion (2007, 2013). In total, Garnett has averaged 19.1 points and 9.5 rebounds per game in his career.
What awards did Kevin Garne?
Kevin Garnett retired from the NBA on May 20, 2017. He was a 14-time All-Star and won an NBA championship with the Boston Celtics in 2008. He also won an Olympic gold medal with Team USA in 2004. In addition to his basketball accomplishments, Garnett is a two-time MVP (2007, 2008) and three-time Defensive Player of the Year (2004, 2007, 2008). He was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2013.